Your home décor plays an important role in creating spaces of comfort and beauty that you can enjoy. As we see the shift from winter to spring, now is the perfect time to update your seasonal decorations – from Christmas trees to florals and foliage, holiday garlands to spring wreaths for the front door.
Wondering how and when to update your decorations? Here are quick ideas to refresh the look of your home for the new season.
From Winter To Spring
Want to know when to pack up your Christmas decorations and hang up the spring wreaths? March is a good time to welcome the season of new beginnings with changes in your home décor.
Try these easy switches to bring spring into your home:
- Brighten up your space with floral elements like potted foliage, window boxes, and hanging plants. ARTIFICIAL FLOWERS are great for their longevity, and they look fresh all year round.
- Trade sheets, rugs, throw pillows, and curtains in heavy materials like wool for lightweight fabrics such as cotton or linen.
- Don’t forget your outdoor area – replace your winter wreath with spring door decorations such as a floral wreath or garland.
March Decoration Ideas
Decorating in early spring can be tricky when you’re still in between seasons – there’s snow on the ground one day and on other days the sun’s out. Here are some tips to help you transition your décor during March.
- Pastel hues are great for early spring décor. Use elements in shades of baby blue, light peach, or lavender.
- Switch your holiday foliage to seasonal blooms. Our collection of SPRING WREATHS AND GREENERY are available in an array of sizes and styles.
- Swap out your cinnamon and vanilla-scented candles to more refreshing scents like citrus and florals.
From Spring To Summer
When’s the time to transition your home décor from spring to summer? As temperatures start to rise from early to mid-June, bring touches of the sunny season into your living space.
Here are a few tips for your summer decorations:
- Use vibrant colors like yellow, orange, and fuchsia for your throw pillows, area rugs, and other room décor and accents. Feel free to mix these hues together for a bold statement.
- A wreath, garland, or vase of flowers are just what you need to create a cheery atmosphere.
- For outdoor celebrations, repurpose your string lights from winter—hang them around your al fresco dining area to complete the summer night mood.
From Summer to Fall
When should you put up FALL HOME DÉCOR? We recommend starting in late August. Another option is to wait until leaves change colors come September or October. Knowing when to transition to fall can be quite tricky, so we’ve put together an even DEEPER DIVE INTO TIMING YOUR FALL DECORATIONS.
Here are a few ideas on how to prepare your space for autumn:
- Fall decorating is about bringing the oranges, browns, and reds of autumn foliage into your home.
- Incorporate elements that celebrate bountiful harvests such as pumpkins, apples, and fall leaves.
- On your front door, switch out your bright florals with FALL WREATHS and GARLANDS.
NOVEMBER DECORATION IDEAS
Now that HALLOWEEN is over, you can start preparing your home for late autumn and Thanksgiving. This month is also a transition period between fall and winter, so decorate with pieces that complement both seasons. Below are some ideas to try.
- Warm up spaces with heavier fabrics for your plush area rugs, throw pillows, and beddings.
- Use scented CANDLES OR OILS with hints of apple, cinnamon, or pumpkin spice. As winter draws closer, switch to HOLIDAY SCENTS with notes such as cedar, balsam fir, or Fraser fir.
- Layer your tablescape with fall and winter elements to create depth and dimension. Lay down a plain garland to serve as a runner and decorate it with mini pumpkins, figs, and apricots.
From Fall to Winter
When’s the best time to take down your fall décor and ease into winter? Late November is a good time to transition your home decorations for the merriest time of the year.
Check out these tips for your winter décor:
- Choose a HOLIDAY DECORATING THEME such as traditional reds and greens, modern metallics, or French country. Make sure to use elements that complement your theme for a cohesive look.
- CANDLES AND LANTERNS are also a quick way to make a room feel cozy. Display in groups of different sizes to create a charming effect at night.
- For outdoor areas such as the porch or patio, decorate with OUTDOOR-SAFE GREENERY and LIGHTS to make sure they last for many seasons.
Year-Round Seasonal Decorations To Try
Knowing when to decorate for different seasons is quick and easy when you opt for timeless and versatile pieces. Here are some tips for home décor that will look good all year round.
Opt for a Neutral Base
Choose a neutral palette for your walls and furniture to create a timeless look. Shades of white, cream, taupe, or gray work well on their own and look great when combined with other hues. Add pops of color through decorative accents and switch them out as you transition into the next season.
Consider Accent Color
If you decide to add other tones to your home, select up to two accent colors or use multiple shades of your preferred hue. Incorporate these into smaller pieces like decorations and fabrics for a streamlined look. Whether it’s a bright yellow front door or a bold accent wall, colors add visual interest to a space.
Incorporate Natural Textures
Make a space feel cozy by using materials such as wood, wicker, and rattan. Fill wooden bowls with seasonal elements such as seashells in summer, turning leaves in fall, and pinecones in winter. Interchangeable pieces like these are practical additions to your home décor.
Decorate With Greenery
Greenery instantly brightens up any space. Choose versatile, undecorated foliage like POTTED TREES and TOPIARIES that look great all year and can be spruced up for special occasions. Display them on their own or in groups on the porch or patio to create a welcoming ambience.
Set The Mood With Lights
Lights are great for setting the mood and warming up the home. To create enchanted evenings, hang up light strings and line up lanterns along pathways or steps. Candles make charming centerpieces when arranged in varying sizes, for tabletops and other surfaces.
We hope this article gave you some ideas on how and when to update your seasonal decorations.
Visit Balsam Hill's website for artificial flower arrangements, foliage, and premium decorations to help you create inspired spaces all year round.