String Lights and Fairy Lanterns
Please change one or more of your selections.
Set the scene for any celebration with picturesque string light decorations. Brighten up rooms for cozy get-togethers and intimate parties. Balsam Hill's spring lighting selections are perfect for indoor and outdoor use.
Are String Lights Safe?
Fairy lights and lanterns that use LED bulbs are safer than traditional bulbs. They produce less heat and consume less energy, making them last longer. Hang them on doors, porch railings, or mantels for a soft glow at night. Alternatively, put them inside a clear container or glass cloche for a lantern-like effect. Outdoor-safe lights look great wrapped around greenery, so onlookers can appreciate your patio or garden even at night.
What Kind of Outdoor String Lights Do I Need?
Beautiful on their own, LED string lights also sparkle when used in different ways:
- Fairy light lanterns Set them on the edges of your porch steps or around railings for an inviting welcome. Alternatively, place them near your outdoor seating area to mimic the charm of a café at night. String light lanterns also complement topiaries and potted flowers well. Display them throughout your home or gather pieces in varying sizes to create visual interest.
- Pathway lights Elevate your walkways with modern lights. Display them with matching Edison bulb string lights draped over tree branches or a pergola for a rustic look.
- Solar lights For a sustainable option, choose solar-powered lights to light up your al fresco gatherings. Our solar lights come with a battery that recharges daily, so your exterior spaces are well-lit at night. Finish the look of your display with flameless candles.
How Do I Choose Outdoor String Lights?
Searching for exterior lights will depend on certain factors. Here's how you can find the right ones for your home:
- Settle on a theme Your patio or backyard string light display should give guests an idea of what the inside of your home looks like. Make sure that your outdoor patio lights complement your foliage at night.
- Take note of nearby power outlets Make sure to have secure access to power sources in your decorating areas. Check that there are no damages or faulty wiring to ensure safety. For more flexibility, consider solar-powered or battery-operated lights.
- Measure the areas you want to decorate Determine how much space you have before purchasing garden or patio string lights and lanterns. To wrap around greenery and objects, a good rule of thumb is to get lights twice as long.
- Look for the 'outdoor-safe' label Outdoor-safe lights can withstand certain levels of sunlight and weather damage. We recommend having outdoor displays for up to three months per year, so they last longer.
- Test yourstring lights If anything is not working well, replace a bulb right away. Then, proceed with hanging twinkly lights around your home. Plug them in once again and check if you've achieved your desired set-up. Adjust, if necessary.
Shop for spring lighting and fairy lanterns on our website. Browse our entire spring collection before purchasing. request a catalog.