Before you Start
We recommend asking family and friends to help with tree setup, since it can take around two hours to assemble and shape a tree for the first time. Taking your time setting up your tree will ensure that it appears full and realistic throughout the holiday season.
What’s in the Box?
- Assembly instructions
- Tree stand with eyebolt (for non-Flip™ trees)
- Numbered tree sections (Section 1 is the tree base)
- Replacement bulbs/fuses for pre-lit trees
- Bulb remover tool
- Cotton gloves
- Storage bag
- Control box & remote control (for Color + Clear™ and select Flip™ trees)
SETTING UP AND SHAPING YOUR TREE
The setup instructions vary based on the model of your Balsam Hill tree. Our FLIP TREE™ models feature patented technology for the quickest and easiest setup, and our INSTANT EVERGREEN™ models require minimal fluffing. Select HERE for assembly directions for Traditional (Non-Flip™) Trees, and HERE for Flip™ Tree assembly directions.
TRADITIONAL (NON-FLIP™) TREES
Step 1 | Assemble Tree Stand
Balsam Hill’s included tree base folds out into an X-shape comprised of four legs. Turn the eyebolt into the stand just enough to ensure the legs cannot fold back together.
Step 2 | Secure the Tree
Insert the bottom section of the tree into the base then tighten the eyebolt completely. The center pole should extend straight up and should not wobble. All Balsam Hill™ trees use hinged branches that are already pre-attached to the center pole — so you do not need to attach the pieces individually to the trunk.
Step 3 | Shape the Branches
Open up the hinged branches on the bottom section and start to shape the branches.
Please refer to our detailed shaping instructions HERE to attain the fullest and most realistic look. Insert and shape the middle section(s) of the tree in the same manner. To reduce the need for fluffing, consider our INSTANT EVERGREEN™ models.
Step 1 | Prepare the Tree
Flip Trees™ roll out of their box in storage position, with the base section upside down on the stand. Roll the tree to your chosen display location, making sure that there is enough space to flip it. Then remove the storage bag, lock the wheels, and plug in the lights to ensure they are all working.
Step 2 | Identify Flip Path
Locate the flip path indicator arrow on the top of the flip pole to figure out which direction the tree flips, and clear the flip path by pushing the branches left or right of the tree trunk for the entire length of the tree base.
Step 3 | Flip the Tree
Flip the tree by placing one or both hands on the top of the flip pole and pulling in the direction of the arrow towards you. Place one foot on the horizontal bar on the stand to steady the tree while flipping. Lock the tree into place using the safety strap at the base, and put on the tree top.
Step 4 | Shape the Branches
Open up the hinged branches on the bottom section and start to shape the branches. Please refer to our detailed shaping instructions HERE to attain the fullest and most realistic look. Shape the middle section(s) of the tree in the same manner.
CONNECTING YOUR LIGHTS
Balsam Hill’s pre-lit trees are available in 2 light assembly types: Easy Plug™ trees (including Flip™ and Instant Evergreen™) and traditionally-lit trees. Lights on our EASY PLUG™ models are automatically connected inside the trunk, whereas traditional pre-lit trees have light strings that are manually connected from end-to-end outside the tree.
Step 1 | Assemble the Lights
PLEASE NOTE: If you ordered an Easy Plug Tree, you may skip this step as the lights are automatically connected.
- Identify the color-coded plugs and sockets on each tree section. Insert each plug into its corresponding socket with the matching sticker.
- If you have a Color + Clear™ tree, red stickers mark the clear lights’ plugs, sockets, and the control box outlet, while yellow stickers mark the elements of multicolor lights throughout the tree. Plug the cord leading from the receiver box near the tree base into an electrical wall outlet. Then, identify the two distinct sets of lights that plug into the corresponding color-coded extension cords. Starting with the top section, connect the extension cords to their sockets on the tree section below. Depending on the height of your tree, cords might connect up or down from a particular section. When you reach the tree base, plug the cords into the control box.
To find lighting instructions for a specific tree, search for its unique PDF HERE.
Step 2 | Turn on the Lights
- If your tree has a foot pedal, step on it to switch the lights on and off.
- If your tree has a remote, remove the plastic insert from the battery compartment of the remote control and choose "Clear," "Multi," or "Both" to light the tree.