Outdoor Christmas lights add festive sparkle to your home’s façade and provide a merry welcome to family and friends. If you're thinking of decorating with outside Christmas lights this season, here are important tips and reminders to help you set up with ease.
How Do I Choose Outdoor Christmas Lights?
Choosing your outdoor lights will depend on where you’d like to display them. You need to know the measurement of each space, as well as the location of power outlets to determine the best type of outdoor Christmas lights to use. Here are practical steps to guide you in choosing the right lights for your exterior spaces.
- Take a picture of your home from across the street. Viewing your house from afar will make it easier to plan out where exactly to hang Christmas lights strings and place other decorative lights and lanterns.
- Get decorating inspiration. Now that you have a better understanding of your outdoor space, it’s time to find decorating inspiration through Pinterest, Christmas home décor magazines, and home design sites. Take note of the looks that strike your fancy in areas similar to what you have.
- Identify your power sources. Make sure to have secure access to power outlets in your decorating areas. Check that there are no damages or faulty wiring to ensure fire safety.
- Measure the areas you want to decorate. Prepare an outline sketch or print out a photo of your house where you can write down the measurement of each area. Measure your roofline by running a tape measure along the base of your house. This will give you a good estimate on the length of outdoor string lights that you’ll need.
- List down the types of outdoor lights that you’ll use. Roofs, columns, railings, and trees look best when decorated with lights strings or outdoor hanging lights. Lanterns, light stakes, and tape lights are ideal for illuminating pathways, lawns, and stairways. Meanwhile, outdoor LED Christmas lights arranged in popular holiday silhouettes like snowflakes, reindeer, trees, or snowmen are perfect for a fun display in the porch, patio, or garden.
- When purchasing lights, make sure that they’re marked safe for outdoor use. Outdoor-safe lights are designed to withstand sun, rain, snow, and other weather changes.
- Buy plastic light clips, hooks, and zip ties. These accessories will help you save time when putting up and taking down your Christmas lights. They also prevent damage to your walls, roof, railings, and any other surface where you want to hang lights.
- Test your Christmas lights before installing. If anything is not working well, get a replacement right away. One thing to keep in mind is to shop for Christmas decorations early to make sure you have enough time for returns and exchanges before peak holiday season.
When Should You Put Up Christmas Lights Outside?
There may be varying opinions on the best time to set up Christmas lights outside the house. For some, Christmas decorating begins as soon as Halloween ends. However, many believe that the day or week after Thanksgiving is the ideal time to decorate your home for Christmas, including hanging outside Christmas lights. Advent begins at around this time too, which gives many a good reason to start decorating as well.
When Should You Take Down Outdoor Christmas Lights?
Many people take down their Christmas lights and décor after New Year’s Day. There are several reasons why people choose to do so which includes tradition, religion, or simply to have a fresh start to the new year.
Setting up outdoor Christmas lights can be a breeze with proper planning, tools, and high-quality outdoor lights. With Balsam Hill’s collection of outdoor holiday decorations, you can create a bright and merry display that brings joy all season long.
Learn about practical considerations and easy decorating tips on how to choose and hang your Christmas lights with our comprehensive guide. Read More
Want to decorate your outdoor spaces for Christmas but don't know where to begin? Here are 5 questions to ask before purchasing outdoor Christmas decorations. Read More