A Christmas tree glowing with lights makes any holiday celebration extra merry and bright – whether it’s a big family gathering or an intimate dinner party with friends. Balsam Hill’s PRE-LIT CHRISTMAS TREES are professionally strung by hand to minimize the appearance of wires and come with UL® approved, premium, commercial grade lights. With normal wear and tear over the years, however, some lights go out or become loose. In this guide, we share tips on how to fix Christmas tree lights from troubleshooting to replacing fuses and bulbs.
Check If Light Strings Are Plugged Well
The first step to fixing pre-lit Christmas tree lights is making sure the strings are plugged well. Connections can sometimes become loose from moving the branches around, so do this before anything else.
What To Do When Pre-Lit Tree Lights Go Out?
- Visually inspect that the strands are plugged into the pole on both ends.
- Verify that the light strand is not being pinched between branches or in a hinge.
- If a loose plug is discovered, nudge or secure the plug into place.
- Turn the poles gently to ensure the sections are properly connected into place.
Check The Bulbs On Each String
Bulbs can become loose through years of putting up and taking down a pre-lit Christmas tree. If there’s a loose bulb, re-seat it into the socket by gently nudging it back into place. If you need to replace a broken or burned-out bulb, your Balsam Hill tree comes with a bulb removal tool along with several replacement bulbs. Here’s how to fix pre-lit Christmas tree lights by changing the bulbs.
How Do You Replace Lights On A Pre-Lit Tree?
- Use the bulb remover tool to remove and dispose of the broken bulb.
- Insert the replacement bulb securely into the empty socket.
- If the bulbs are not lighting, check that each bulb is properly aligned in its socket.
- Gently nudge the bolt or press the bulb more firmly into its socket.
Check Your Pre-Lit Christmas Tree’S Fuse
A blown fuse is one of the most common reasons the lights on your pre-lit Christmas tree go out. Learn how to fix Christmas tree lights by replacing the fuses with these steps.
How To Replace The Fuses On Pre-Lit Christmas Trees
- The fuses are housed within the male end plug of the light string. Use your finger or a flat head screwdriver to slide open the compartment on the plug. The fuse should pop out with a small amount of force.
- Replace the fuse with a new one found in your parts replacement kit that was included with your pre-lit Christmas tree.
- Slide the cover of the compartment to close.
Troubleshoot Your Balsam Hill Christmas Tree
Follow the troubleshooting steps below if you find there’s a light string or an entire section that’s out on your pre-lit Balsam Hill artificial Christmas tree.
A Light Strand Is Out
When you find a light strand out on your pre-lit Christmas tree, it’s best to follow these steps for a quick and easy repair. Make sure to have your replacement parts kit and a flat-head screwdriver ready at hand.
Check The Light Strands
- Check that the strand is connected on both ends, to the pole and to the connecting strand.
- Make sure it’s not pinched between branches or stuck in a hinge.
- Look for any broken, loose, or missing bulbs on the strand.
- If you find one, use the bulb remover tool to remove and dispose of the broken bulb.
- Replace with another bulb from your replacement parts kit.
- If there’s a loose bulb, re-seat it into the socket by gently nudging it back into place.
- If the bulbs are all intact, the problem may lie with the master bulb.
Check The Master Bulb
- Locate the master bulb by following the strand until you find a bulb in a larger plastic casing.
- Replace the master bulb with a master bulb from your replacement parts kit.
- If this doesn’t work, there could be an issue with the fuse.
Check The Fuses
- Locate the male end of the plug and open the slider.
- There will be two fuses, one active in a metal casing and one spare.
- Replace the active fuse with the spare fuse. More replacement fuses can be found in your replacement parts kit.
An Entire Section Is Out
If an entire light section is out on your pre-lit tree, follow this guide to remedy the situation. You will need your replacement parts kit and a flat-head screwdriver for this.
Replace Broken Bulbs
- Use the bulb remover tool to remove and dispose of a broken bulb.
- Replace it with another bulb from your replacement parts kit.
Replace The Master Bulb
- If the bulbs are all intact, the problem may lie with the master bulb. Locate this by following the strand until you find a bulb in a larger plastic casing.
- Replace the master bulb with a new one from your replacement parts kit.
Replace The Fuse
- If the master bulb is working properly, there could be an issue with the fuse. Find the male end of the plug and open the slider.
- There will be two fuses, one active within the metal casing and one spare.
- Replace the active fuse with the spare. There are more replacement fuses in your replacement parts kit.
We hope this guide helped you in troubleshooting the lights on your pre-lit Christmas tree. Visit the Balsam Hill website to see our full collection of pre-lit artificial Christmas trees. We offer a wide variety of shapes, sizes, and lighting options to suit any space and style.
For more tips and guides on choosing the right artificial Christmas tree for your home, read these articles: